My phone would not stop buzzing. Message after message. "Girl, did you see?" "Amber, are you okay?" "Tell me you saw the video."
I saw the video. Everybody saw the video. My ex-husband walked into a jewelry store and spent sixty-two thousand dollars on an engagement ring for another woman.
I am Amber. And I need to get some things off my chest.
I Saw the Video Like Everyone Else
Nobody warned me. Nobody called ahead and said, "Amber, sit down, you might want to prepare yourself." I was scrolling like a normal person on a normal day, and there he was. Anthony. In a jewelry store. Looking at diamonds like a man who had never been hurt and never hurt anybody.
My hand started shaking before my brain even caught up. Sixty-two thousand dollars. For her. For D'Nisha.
I watched the whole thing. I do not know why I did that to myself, but I did. I watched him smile. I watched him pick the ring. I watched him talk about being the perfect husband from every angle. And I sat there on my couch, divorced, alone, watching the man I married promise forever to someone else with a bigger diamond than I ever got.
He Bought Me a Ring Too, You Know
Here is what nobody remembers. Anthony bought me a ring once too. I was the woman he walked into a store for. I was the one he pictured when he looked at diamonds. I was the future he was planning.
People act like our marriage was always a disaster. It was not. In the beginning, it was beautiful. He looked at me the way he looks at her now. He held my hand like it was the most precious thing in the world. He promised me forever, and I believed him, because why would you not believe the man you love?
Then forever fell apart. The cheating. The lies. The public humiliation of watching your marriage die in front of an audience. I survived that. Barely, but I survived it.
And now I get to watch him do it all again, better this time, with a sixty-two thousand dollar ring and a speech about being the perfect husband. It is hard not to wonder what was so wrong with me that I got the broken version and she gets the fixed one.
What $62,000 Says That Words Never Could
Let us talk about that number, because it is screaming something nobody wants to say out loud. Sixty-two thousand dollars is not just money. It is a statement. It is a man saying, "I have learned. I have grown. I am different now."
And every woman who was ever the "before" picture hears that statement loud and clear. It says: I was capable of this all along. I just was not capable of it with you.
That is the part that broke something in me. Not the diamond. Not the girl. The realization that the man I begged to change, the man I cried over, the man I prayed would become better, actually became better. Just not for me.
I am happy for him the way you are happy for someone who found their keys after you spent an hour helping them look. Relieved it is over. Exhausted from the search. Quietly wondering why it took so long.
I Am Not Jealous of the Diamond
People keep asking if I am jealous. Let me answer that honestly. I am not jealous of the diamond. I do not want the ring. I do not want to be D'Nisha. I do not want that life.
What I am jealous of is the timing. I am jealous that she gets the man I prayed for. I am jealous that she will never know the version of Anthony that broke me. She gets the lessons without the pain. She gets the growth without the scars.
That is a strange kind of grief. Mourning a man who is still alive. Mourning a marriage that taught him how to love someone else correctly.
The Part Nobody Wants to Admit
Here is the uncomfortable truth nobody in the comments will say. Part of me is angry. Not at D'Nisha. She did nothing to me. I am angry at the situation. I am angry that I was the practice round. I am angry that my pain was his education.
Every time he does something romantic for her, a small voice in me whispers, "Where was this energy when it was us?" And I hate that voice, because I know it is not fair. People grow. People change. I have changed too.
But healing is not linear, and some days the scar still aches when it rains. This week, it rained diamonds.
Do I Still Love Him?
This is the question everybody really wants answered, so here it is. No. I do not love Anthony anymore. Not the way I did. That love died a long time ago, and I buried it myself.
But I will always love the memory of who we were at the start. I will always love the man I thought he would become. And there is a difference between loving someone and still feeling the echo of what was.
The echo is what hurts. The echo is what made me cry watching that video. Not because I want him back, but because the echo reminds me of everything I lost trying to love him into being better.
To the Woman Wearing My Old Life
D'Nisha, if you ever read this, I want you to know something. I do not hate you. I have never hated you. You did not steal anything from me. What Anthony and I had was already gone before you arrived.
But I am going to tell you what nobody else will. That sixty-two thousand dollar ring is beautiful. It is also heavy. Not on your finger. On your heart. Because now you carry the weight of being the woman he changed for, and that comes with its own pressure.
Take care of him. Take care of yourself more. And if he ever starts to slip back into old patterns, do not do what I did. Do not wait. Do not beg. Do not shrink yourself trying to make him grow.
You are not me. And that is your greatest strength.
As for me, I am going to put my phone down now. I am going to stop watching the video. I am going to remind myself that my story did not end when my marriage did. It just took a different turn.
Anthony got his sixty-two thousand dollar moment. I am still waiting for mine. And when it comes, I hope it sparkles just as bright.
